I love this salad.
It is so versatile: main entree, side salad, lunch, or dinner. My mom, Jod, introduced me to this recipe. At first I made it as a side for dinner. Then I started making a big batch of it on Sundays and packing it for a healthy lunch for the week.
The ingredients might seem like a weird combination. Just try it; you’ll love it too!
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 can black beans, rinsed drained
- 1 fresh mango, cubed
- 1 ripe avocado, cubed
- 1 cucumber, seeds removed and diced
- ½ cup mint, chopped – I often leave this out.
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 clove garlic
- salt and pepper
- I like to add in chopped kale – super food, super yummy:)
- Place the quinoa along with 2 cups salted water in a medium saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce to the lowest heat setting. Simmer until water is completely absorbed and quinoa is fluffy, about 20 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, and garlic.
- Add the remaining ingredients, including the quinoa, and gently combine. Season with salt and pepper. Place in the fridge for 20 minutes to let the salad cool and flavors combine. Serve immediately.
Note: Double the recipe if making lunch for the week.